BOCCE BALL COURT UPDATE

Image result for bocce ball imagesCourtesy of Ray Hedlund – Advisory Committee Chairman

There have been many questions and rumors about the Bocce Ball court. It is ready for play!

To help inform all, here are some details you may find of interest:

  1. This court was constructed by a professional experienced in building these units
  2. There is a complete drainage system installed in the under fill of the unit. It is not a water pit.
  3. It is specifically designed to handle the rain and snow and drain away as fast as possible the water that may be left from a heavy rain.
  4. The court is finished with professional grade material and its final top coat is crushed oyster shells. It’s what the pros use.
  5. Oyster shells are designed to allow drainage and provide a smooth roll of the ball. They are not designed to be layered thickly onto the rolling surface.
  6. The court is tamped down firmly and from time to time you may see black under material surface. This is not a cause to pour an additional layer of oyster shells as its increasing thickness will result in a slow and harder to throw rolling of the ball.
  7. When you see a black spot and between games, players should use the rake/brush (hanging on the pavilion wall) and drag the court to a level, flat playing surface.
  8. The proper etiquette is to NOT WALK on the playing surface during a game. Only those playing should be on the court.
  9. We have some additional bags that are still on back order for touch up purposes as time goes by. It is not intended to add a major thickness to the rolling surface. We will store these and use as required.
  10. The string rope lights have been removed. They have proven to be a questionable feature. The sticky backing has not stuck. The rake has knocked it down and in one case broke the string. Their return is questionable at this time. Lighting was a bonus feature and not originally in the plan.
  11. The surrounding rock area was designed so that golf carts could be driven close by and used for seating of spectators and possibly lighting if needed.
  12. There were originally some rocks at the near end toward the club house that was discovered after play was started and they have been dug out and removed and stacked by the trees. If you want to see just how big a rock can be, take a look at these.
  13. The existing brand new benches have been moved several times now. They are heavy and are not truly designed to be moved to shade so my suggestion is to stand in the shade of a tree when not rolling and use when they are shade covered.
  14. The Activities committee had tried to originate a BB captain and in fact had two lesson meetings. They are now looking to find a person to organize and undertake a BB plan. Anyone interested?
  15. The Bocce balls themselves are in the library. The rules are laminated inside the case for anyone to play. I suggest for now, that all interested go down and check this sport out. This is a fun senior sport that is sweeping the valley. Bring a friend or another couple with you to try this out. Early morning or late afternoon or dinner is probably the best time to play.
Advertisements

Clubhouse Rumor

Image result for rumorSomeone just posted a question asking if the club house is rented or being purchased along with the land under it. This is not meant to poke fun at the questioner, but this actually made me laugh out loud. One can only guess where such rumors start? Perhaps there is not enough excitement and the Activities Committee should be tasked with hosting more events.

When the clubhouse was built, the funds came from a mortgage. The Recreational Subdivision Association (RSA) could not qualify for the mortgage so it was secured by the developer. In August of 2005 a lease was created between the developer and the RSA in order to repay the mortgage. The lease is a twenty-year instrument and at the end of the lease, the RSA can exercise its option to purchase the clubhouse for the whopping sum of one dollar.

The lease functions just like any other lease agreement in the State of Arizona. The lease gives all rights to use the premises to the RSA. The clubhouse cannot be rented or sold. The ground under the clubhouse isn’t in danger of being sold and neither is the festival area. All of this is the common area that is for the use and enjoyment of all RSA members and their guests.

Clubhouse Rules and Woodfield Rumors

Image result for rumorsThe Clubhouse Rules can be found on the Village People website. There are only sixteen and it’s a fast read, but it might be beneficial to review a few in this forum.

There is a rumor running through the Village that Woodfield residents are using Village dumpsters, Wi-Fi and the laundry room. No one has been able to confirm that this is actually taking place and it seems unlikely because Woodfield includes dumpsters and internet access in the rent the residents pay.

Perhaps the people you see are new owners who obtained entry with a key. However, if the laundry room door is propped open, it will be difficult to keep unauthorized users at bay.

One of the clubhouse rules addresses access keys. A portion of that rules states “Please do not lend your key or provide access to unauthorized users.” Although it can be uncomfortable to deny access to the clubhouse or laundry room, it’s the only way to insure that the people using the facilities have the legitimate right to be there. It’s easy to assume that the person requesting entry has merely forgotten their key. However, it may have been deactivated after sixty days of unpaid member assessments or for an uncured violation.

Residents bear some responsibility to make sure only dues-paying members or their guests are using the common area. Your help is very much appreciated by everyone.

2017 Annual Meeting Open Forum Comments & Questions

Image result for questions and answersThe 2017 Annual meeting garnered record attendance. A commitment was made to address, via the blog, all questions and comments that were submitted in writing prior to and at the meeting. This also allows the Board to reach residents who were not at the meeting.

There were some great questions brought to the fore. Thanks for sharing your interests and concerns.

Jerry & Marda Larson – Lot 20

“Exactly what was the $10,000 in attorney’s fees for – since WE are all paying?”

Attorney’s fees have been incurred by the Association for various legal matters. As one example; if the Board has a legal question (e.g. document interpretation, corporate governance, etc.), it must ask the Association attorney and the attorney bills the Association for answering the question. Another example is when a Member sends the Board a letter through an attorney and it must be answered by the Association attorney. A third example is when a Member is delinquent in paying dues, the Association attorney manages the process of collecting and if not successful, then the foreclosure process. Specifics of legal matters cannot be disclosed so as to protect attorney-client privilege or other Members’ privacy.

“When can we have a public audit? When was the last one done?”

The documents that govern the Association do not call for a “public” audit and therefore one has ever been performed. When the Association is turned over to the Members (when all property has been sold), a decision will be made by the Members as to whether or not they want an audit, which will be paid for by Association dues.

“Why were we not allowed to vote on those speed bumps?”

Members only vote on things that will result in a special assessment. The speed bumps did not result in a special assessment.

Susan Jenkin Lot 122

“Why isn’t the sewer being completed by a contractor and turned over to the City of Show Low? The City says it will take [it over] with upgraded electrical.”

The electrical panel for the sewer lift station is a specialized product. It has to be built specifically for that lift station. This is in production. We cannot give a date for completion at this time.

“Why do you use companies you own to do landscaping, road repair, etc. Why aren’t you forced to get bids?

In May of last year, HOAMCO, using a bid process, hired a maintenance company, Mountains Best

Landscape owned by Mike McGee. You are encouraged to visit the Whispering Pines Blog and read “Then

And Now – The Same But Different” published on August 30, 2016.

Betty Turley – Lot 7

“I have a concern of the many speed bumps and have been asked to share my experiance with you by others in the Village.

  A week ago I found that I had a loose bolt on the eccentric adjuster for the upper a-arm of my vehicle. (Thankfully I heard a strange noise and had it looked at.)

  My mecanic tightened the bolt and had me get a front end alighment taken care of that day.

  I was informed by Big O that it was out of alignment. I told them of my loose bolt problem , so they aligned the front end, and made sure that all bolts in that area were tight.

  I have talked with three mechanic’s about my loose bolt problem. Not a single one could tell me how this may have happened, but they did ( all three) say that by my having to drive over 15 speed bumps each time I leave home and return, that it could have caused the problem. They also said  that no doubt in time going over that many speed bumps would wear my brakes out sooner, wear the ball joints out sooner and I would be needing a front end alignment more often. You should only need a alignment every 2 years. This was my second time in 6 months. ( No I have not been running over a lot of pot holes ).

  You have to go over 5 speed bumps from the Hwy.  to Elizabeth then there are 3 on Elizabeth to come in, for me going out, there are 2 on Vacation Village Dr. from Mongollon to Elizabeth and then the 5 from there to the Hwy.

  I feel the excess of speed bumps has caused more problems than good. There are still  individuals that continue to speed with the speed bumps. The speed bumps are causing wear and tear on all of our vehicles and I have had a concern that if one of us needs a Fire Truck or Ambulance, will the slowing down of these vehicles cost one of us our home or life ?

  So I’m asking could you please remove some of the speed bumps ?

  Thank you for your help.

  P.S.

  I have been told that ” Some individuals who wanted speed bumps are even using alternate routes in and out of the Village in order to avoid them”.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”. In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. However, you raise a great point about people using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps so we will deal with that as soon as possible.

 Incidentally, the size and positioning of the speed bumps are specified to reduce the traffic to the posted speed limit. As long as the limit of 15 mph is maintained, there’s no need to hit the brakes. The “bump” is quite minor and shouldn’t contribute to any mechanical problems.

James Ellis – Lot 140

“A review of the speed bump problem.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”. In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. We will address those using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps as soon as possible.

“Horseshoe pits and bocce ball court 91’ x 13’.”

This topic was discussed in great detail at the meeting.

“Why aren’t we using clubhouse?”

Assuming the question pertains to using the clubhouse for the Annual meeting, the Board chose to meet at an outside location. It was done to be able to accommodate the large number of people who attend. The clubhouse is not a venue where everyone can see and hear a speaker.

Jeff Miller – Lot 141

“Speed bumps on Elizabeth. They have just re-routed traffic down the small one lane roads that were not set up for the traffic.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”.  In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. We will address those using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps as soon as possible.

Jackie Schaefer – Lot 125

“Please consider one larger washing machine for larger sheets, mattress pads, heavier loads.”

The Board of Directors may consider it during the 2018 budget process if the Advisory Committee recommends it. Your representative is Wally Simons. He can be reached at wlsimons@reagan.com.

Steve Voller – Lot 60

“What are the plans to aerate the pond(s)? We need to improve the cleanliness using aerobic bacteria to decompose the algae. This will also help with mosquitoes.”

Starting last year the Association paid for Arizona Lake to come address the ponds and clean them out. Since that visit, the maintenance company has been using the bacteria and blue dye to keep the algae down. They also drop mosquito pellets.

“How can we provide cable internet and/or TV to property owners? Woodmere has it in front of us. DSL is too slow and unreliable. Having it would increase property values since everyone would have the ability to hook up to it or not. Costs need to be evaluated, but Cable One should be glad to put in lines, perhaps for free? Owners may not have all the info and may vote it down without all the facts.”

The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your area is currently unrepresented so you would need to contact Ray Hedlund. He can be reached at Advisory@wmvv.org  – 925-890-5613.

 Please consider representing your area on the Advisory Committee. A fillable Volunteer Interest Form is located on the Village People website and can also be found by clicking here.

Craig Adams – Lot 106

“Can we please re-investigate possible ways to bring cable/internet into the park?  Even if this brings an assessment to all owners it should be given an opportunity for all to vote on knowing the cost and related facts. The internet at the clubhouse is very inadequate.”

 The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your representative is Frankie Coulter.

She can be reached at Frankie.coulter@gmail.com.

 Jackie Puhl – Lot 211

“What do we do if you can’t get the blog, i.e. internet? Mail does not always get to us (me) due to transfer from winter home. If we can send a man to the moon why can’t we have boosters throughout the park? So much of life today has phone answering machines that tell you to do to the internet. Anything is possible.”

The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your area is currently unrepresented so you would need to contact Ray Hedlund. He can be reached at Advisory@wmvv.org  – 925-890-5613.

 Please consider representing your area on the Advisory Committee. A fillable Volunteer Interest Form is located on the Village People website and can also be found by clicking here.

Richard Schaefer – Lot 125

“Since there are more and more boat trailers, utility trailers, RV trailers, 4-wheelers now than when the Village was constructed why not have a dedicated area fenced with combo lock for 24-hours access? Seems the area where the existing developed stone covered parking lot would be perfect for backing, etc.  I believe it would enhance the property area where the cabins & RV’s are located to trailers, etc. are not very attractive. Also believe an inexpensive attraction for our Village to have a dedicated lot for these type “fun toys”! Every year more show up! Starting to look junky.”

Unfortunately, there is no place in the Village for storage. HOAMCO has a process in place to address any vehicles being parked in the Village that do not conform to the CC&R’s.

Mark Seidner – Lot 29

“At last years meeting, you indicated that you were going to look at CC&R violations thru-out the park and determine what you would do to correct these issues. Would you please address your conclusions at this years meeting.”

HOAMCO is now doing regular inspections in the Village. When a violation is observed, it is addressed per the “Compliance Policy and Fees” document. You can view it by visiting the Village People website and going to Documents, Forms and Downloads, or click here.

“Is there a review by the Architectural Committee for conformance to the approved plans for lot improvements & allotted time to complete said improvements?”

Yes. The Architectural Review Committee adheres to the Architectural Design Guidelines which can be found by visiting the Village People website and going to Documents, Forms and Downloads, or click here.

Sandra & Martin Aguirre – Lot 151

“On a recent visit to our Show Low property we noticed the concrete crumbling on our street in front of our lot. By picture attached you can see some of the concrete was replaced but not the entire piece. What will it take to replace the entire portion that is crumbling? I don’t understand why some of the road/concrete was replaced and not the other. Please advise. Our association dues of $120 pay for this type of repair/replacement, right? Thank you.”

It likely wasn’t crumbling when we replaced what we did. However, it will be added to the list for annual repairs. We try not to do repairs during the busy season so this might not be done until people have gone for the winter.

Information Center Update

Image result for informationThe new information center is nearing completion. The cement is curing on the support posts and soon the surrounding dirt will be graded and rocked for mud-free walking around the panels.

The blue that everyone has asked me about was the protective plexiglass covering. It has now been removed and some initial postings have begun. Four panels have some information posted. It is a work in progress.

There are six panels that now have temporary paper headers pinned into position. Some information has been placed by me in several areas.  During the annual meeting it was requested that we post some of the thoughts that are being discussed by the Advisory Committee. I have posted the February 27, 2017 meeting notes for review. There are some pictures of signage ideas as well. There was a discussion about signage at the Annual meeting and these are just some thoughts about value enhancement and not about developer sales signs.

There is now space available to owners for 3” x 5” file card size posting on these topics: items for sale, for sale by owner lots and completed units, for rent, vendors and laborers you have used. It is for use by Village owners! Fill in your card and get it to any Advisory Committee member for posting. Business cards are also acceptable. Members are listed on the Advisory Committee panel. There are about twenty blank cards left inside one of the panels if you do not have any. Wal-Mart sells a pack for a buck.

The Activity Committee has one complete panel and has posted the most current schedule. They will be updating as they move along.

I have been asked why it located way over there. It is because we cannot park anymore cars at the front door and many people drive over to the dumpsters frequently so this spreads the traffic out and reduces the congestion. Yup, it’s a different approach so let’s see how this works. It may also be video friendly.

Courtesy of Ray Hedlund

2016 Sales in the Village

Image result for lots for saleTwelve lots and four park models were sold in the Village by the developer in 2016. No park models were sold in 2015. However, you might remember that lot sales in 2015 were quite robust at nineteen.

It’s tempting to examine why sales were lower in 2016. A presidential election can wreak havoc on real estate sales. No matter a person’s political leanings, elections make investors nervous. The Village is an investment for most people as very few make it their full-time residence. If a person isn’t forced to move for employment, it appears that no one wants to gamble in the time between the presidential party conventions and the election. After a presidential election, no matter the victor, people seem to relax and begin to invest again.

The majority of sales in the Village usually take place toward the end of the summer. Such is the fate of an area that is at the mercy of valley people looking to get out of the heat. They seem to show up when they are tired of being forced to stay in the air conditioning for months. By the time they come to check the Village out and decide they like it, most of the summer is in the past.

2017 is proving this wrong for the first time since sales began in the Village. Eight lots have already closed this year with another five in escrow. The Phoenix area had two extreme heat waves where temperatures were at record breaking highs. This might be helping but there isn’t a crystal ball that will assure this is a correct assumption.

If you are happy with your little slice of paradise, please let others know how they can join you.