2017 Annual Meeting Open Forum Comments & Questions

Image result for questions and answersThe 2017 Annual meeting garnered record attendance. A commitment was made to address, via the blog, all questions and comments that were submitted in writing prior to and at the meeting. This also allows the Board to reach residents who were not at the meeting.

There were some great questions brought to the fore. Thanks for sharing your interests and concerns.

Jerry & Marda Larson – Lot 20

“Exactly what was the $10,000 in attorney’s fees for – since WE are all paying?”

Attorney’s fees have been incurred by the Association for various legal matters. As one example; if the Board has a legal question (e.g. document interpretation, corporate governance, etc.), it must ask the Association attorney and the attorney bills the Association for answering the question. Another example is when a Member sends the Board a letter through an attorney and it must be answered by the Association attorney. A third example is when a Member is delinquent in paying dues, the Association attorney manages the process of collecting and if not successful, then the foreclosure process. Specifics of legal matters cannot be disclosed so as to protect attorney-client privilege or other Members’ privacy.

“When can we have a public audit? When was the last one done?”

The documents that govern the Association do not call for a “public” audit and therefore one has ever been performed. When the Association is turned over to the Members (when all property has been sold), a decision will be made by the Members as to whether or not they want an audit, which will be paid for by Association dues.

“Why were we not allowed to vote on those speed bumps?”

Members only vote on things that will result in a special assessment. The speed bumps did not result in a special assessment.

Susan Jenkin Lot 122

“Why isn’t the sewer being completed by a contractor and turned over to the City of Show Low? The City says it will take [it over] with upgraded electrical.”

The electrical panel for the sewer lift station is a specialized product. It has to be built specifically for that lift station. This is in production. We cannot give a date for completion at this time.

“Why do you use companies you own to do landscaping, road repair, etc. Why aren’t you forced to get bids?

In May of last year, HOAMCO, using a bid process, hired a maintenance company, Mountains Best

Landscape owned by Mike McGee. You are encouraged to visit the Whispering Pines Blog and read “Then

And Now – The Same But Different” published on August 30, 2016.

Betty Turley – Lot 7

“I have a concern of the many speed bumps and have been asked to share my experiance with you by others in the Village.

  A week ago I found that I had a loose bolt on the eccentric adjuster for the upper a-arm of my vehicle. (Thankfully I heard a strange noise and had it looked at.)

  My mecanic tightened the bolt and had me get a front end alighment taken care of that day.

  I was informed by Big O that it was out of alignment. I told them of my loose bolt problem , so they aligned the front end, and made sure that all bolts in that area were tight.

  I have talked with three mechanic’s about my loose bolt problem. Not a single one could tell me how this may have happened, but they did ( all three) say that by my having to drive over 15 speed bumps each time I leave home and return, that it could have caused the problem. They also said  that no doubt in time going over that many speed bumps would wear my brakes out sooner, wear the ball joints out sooner and I would be needing a front end alignment more often. You should only need a alignment every 2 years. This was my second time in 6 months. ( No I have not been running over a lot of pot holes ).

  You have to go over 5 speed bumps from the Hwy.  to Elizabeth then there are 3 on Elizabeth to come in, for me going out, there are 2 on Vacation Village Dr. from Mongollon to Elizabeth and then the 5 from there to the Hwy.

  I feel the excess of speed bumps has caused more problems than good. There are still  individuals that continue to speed with the speed bumps. The speed bumps are causing wear and tear on all of our vehicles and I have had a concern that if one of us needs a Fire Truck or Ambulance, will the slowing down of these vehicles cost one of us our home or life ?

  So I’m asking could you please remove some of the speed bumps ?

  Thank you for your help.

  P.S.

  I have been told that ” Some individuals who wanted speed bumps are even using alternate routes in and out of the Village in order to avoid them”.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”. In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. However, you raise a great point about people using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps so we will deal with that as soon as possible.

 Incidentally, the size and positioning of the speed bumps are specified to reduce the traffic to the posted speed limit. As long as the limit of 15 mph is maintained, there’s no need to hit the brakes. The “bump” is quite minor and shouldn’t contribute to any mechanical problems.

James Ellis – Lot 140

“A review of the speed bump problem.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”. In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. We will address those using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps as soon as possible.

“Horseshoe pits and bocce ball court 91’ x 13’.”

This topic was discussed in great detail at the meeting.

“Why aren’t we using clubhouse?”

Assuming the question pertains to using the clubhouse for the Annual meeting, the Board chose to meet at an outside location. It was done to be able to accommodate the large number of people who attend. The clubhouse is not a venue where everyone can see and hear a speaker.

Jeff Miller – Lot 141

“Speed bumps on Elizabeth. They have just re-routed traffic down the small one lane roads that were not set up for the traffic.”

Please refer to the blog post about the speed bumps posted on July 19, 2016, “Those Pesky Speed Bumps”.  In it you will see that much research was done before they were installed, including emergency vehicles. They were installed to encourage drivers to slow down. We will address those using the one-way streets to avoid the speed bumps as soon as possible.

Jackie Schaefer – Lot 125

“Please consider one larger washing machine for larger sheets, mattress pads, heavier loads.”

The Board of Directors may consider it during the 2018 budget process if the Advisory Committee recommends it. Your representative is Wally Simons. He can be reached at wlsimons@reagan.com.

Steve Voller – Lot 60

“What are the plans to aerate the pond(s)? We need to improve the cleanliness using aerobic bacteria to decompose the algae. This will also help with mosquitoes.”

Starting last year the Association paid for Arizona Lake to come address the ponds and clean them out. Since that visit, the maintenance company has been using the bacteria and blue dye to keep the algae down. They also drop mosquito pellets.

“How can we provide cable internet and/or TV to property owners? Woodmere has it in front of us. DSL is too slow and unreliable. Having it would increase property values since everyone would have the ability to hook up to it or not. Costs need to be evaluated, but Cable One should be glad to put in lines, perhaps for free? Owners may not have all the info and may vote it down without all the facts.”

The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your area is currently unrepresented so you would need to contact Ray Hedlund. He can be reached at Advisory@wmvv.org  – 925-890-5613.

 Please consider representing your area on the Advisory Committee. A fillable Volunteer Interest Form is located on the Village People website and can also be found by clicking here.

Craig Adams – Lot 106

“Can we please re-investigate possible ways to bring cable/internet into the park?  Even if this brings an assessment to all owners it should be given an opportunity for all to vote on knowing the cost and related facts. The internet at the clubhouse is very inadequate.”

 The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your representative is Frankie Coulter.

She can be reached at Frankie.coulter@gmail.com.

 Jackie Puhl – Lot 211

“What do we do if you can’t get the blog, i.e. internet? Mail does not always get to us (me) due to transfer from winter home. If we can send a man to the moon why can’t we have boosters throughout the park? So much of life today has phone answering machines that tell you to do to the internet. Anything is possible.”

The Board made a decision not to do anything that would require a special assessment and due to the cost, this would probably require a special assessment. This is something you might want to bring to the Advisory Committee. Your area is currently unrepresented so you would need to contact Ray Hedlund. He can be reached at Advisory@wmvv.org  – 925-890-5613.

 Please consider representing your area on the Advisory Committee. A fillable Volunteer Interest Form is located on the Village People website and can also be found by clicking here.

Richard Schaefer – Lot 125

“Since there are more and more boat trailers, utility trailers, RV trailers, 4-wheelers now than when the Village was constructed why not have a dedicated area fenced with combo lock for 24-hours access? Seems the area where the existing developed stone covered parking lot would be perfect for backing, etc.  I believe it would enhance the property area where the cabins & RV’s are located to trailers, etc. are not very attractive. Also believe an inexpensive attraction for our Village to have a dedicated lot for these type “fun toys”! Every year more show up! Starting to look junky.”

Unfortunately, there is no place in the Village for storage. HOAMCO has a process in place to address any vehicles being parked in the Village that do not conform to the CC&R’s.

Mark Seidner – Lot 29

“At last years meeting, you indicated that you were going to look at CC&R violations thru-out the park and determine what you would do to correct these issues. Would you please address your conclusions at this years meeting.”

HOAMCO is now doing regular inspections in the Village. When a violation is observed, it is addressed per the “Compliance Policy and Fees” document. You can view it by visiting the Village People website and going to Documents, Forms and Downloads, or click here.

“Is there a review by the Architectural Committee for conformance to the approved plans for lot improvements & allotted time to complete said improvements?”

Yes. The Architectural Review Committee adheres to the Architectural Design Guidelines which can be found by visiting the Village People website and going to Documents, Forms and Downloads, or click here.

Sandra & Martin Aguirre – Lot 151

“On a recent visit to our Show Low property we noticed the concrete crumbling on our street in front of our lot. By picture attached you can see some of the concrete was replaced but not the entire piece. What will it take to replace the entire portion that is crumbling? I don’t understand why some of the road/concrete was replaced and not the other. Please advise. Our association dues of $120 pay for this type of repair/replacement, right? Thank you.”

It likely wasn’t crumbling when we replaced what we did. However, it will be added to the list for annual repairs. We try not to do repairs during the busy season so this might not be done until people have gone for the winter.

Advertisements

2017 Annual Meeting Notice

Image result for annual meeting imagesPursuant to Article V, Section 1 of the Bylaws of White Mountain Vacation Village Recreational Subdivision Association, the Annual Meeting of the Members will be held as follows:

 DATE:            Friday, June 23, 2017

CHECK-IN:   1:00 p.m.                              

MEETING:  1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

LOCATION:  Hampton Inn & Suites

                       1501 E Woolford Rd,  

                        Show Low, AZ 85901

PURPOSE:  Informational

If you would like to submit a question, please download the form here. http://wmvv.org/2017%20Annual%20Question%20Form.pdf

Book Club 2017

Image result for book club images freeI would be able to lead a book club if people are interested. There might be emergencies when I have to go back to Tucson. I have developed a list of books and dates. In order to do this, I would like a commitment for at least three people per session.  Please email me with your confirmation and choice of venue.  Thanks.  Susan Jenkin 520-744-2080   ridkin88@msn.com

An option for meetings:

Fri at 11:00 in the clubhouse

Fri at 11:00 at Black Bull

Fri at 4:00 with cheese and wine

Please indicate if you are committed to any of these books and choice of venue

June 9th     Ripper by Isabel Allende – This is the only mystery she has written.  Isabel is an acclaimed writer.

July 7th         The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout – This author wrote Olive   Kitteridge.

July 28th      The Disappeared by Kim Echlin – A New York Times Editors Choice

August 11th   The Long Way Home by Louise Penny – Another mystery.  You will love her characters.

August 25th    The Lowland  by Jhumpa Lahiri – Winner of a Pulitzer Prize

You can go on line to find out more about these books.  I have tried to choose a variety.  I think all of these books are well written with literary depth.

Hope you can make it!

She Said What?! The Truth About the Sewer Plant

Rumors1There is yet another rumor floating around the Village. This one relates to the sewer and it has nothing to do with “flushable” wipes (metaphors notwithstanding). This rumor concerns an assessment and some are insisting that the statement was made at the Annual meeting.

It is true that the City of Show Low has expressed interest in acquiring the Village sewer lift station. The City has done an initial inspection and has asked that some things be done so that the lift station complies with City requirements. This has been an ongoing negotiation and the Board has been preparing for the transfer.

In 2015 the Association foreclosed on Lot 30 in Unit 4 for non-payment of dues. The declarant had a mortgage on the lot. This meant that the Association would have to make payments on the lot until it was sold. However, “the declarant forgave the loan as a contribution to the Association to help with the costs to prepare the sewer pressure line and lift station for City acceptance”. This statement came directly from the 2016 Annual Meeting packet under 2015 Accomplishments. If you look at the meeting packet for the 2016 Annual Meeting or if you review the 2016 Annual Meeting Questions and Comments, nothing of this nature was ever said.

It is also true that there have been expenses to maintain the pumps as has been stated here. If you missed that, please refer to “Let’s Talk Dirty – As In Sewer” and “Toilets or Your Money – Pick One”. These costs are related to ongoing maintenance and have nothing to do with preparing the sewer pressure line and lift station for City acceptance. Associations levy assessments when there is an emergency and not enough money to cover it or when the Association has not collected enough over the years to build an adequate reserve fund. Neither of those things is in play in the Village.

The rumor that the Association will be assessing $50,000 (or any amount, for that matter) to prepare the sewer for City acceptance is false. You will only be paying for ongoing maintenance, which, incidentally, is in your budget. Remember that rumor mongers only derive pleasure when someone believes them. Rumors should be flushed down the toilet along with other detrital material.

Pow Wow in the Pines

teepeesIt was a great pleasure to put some of the faces on the names I have come to know in recent months. The annual meeting of the White Mountain Vacation Village Recreational Subdivision Association (WMVVRSA) was a very constructive and educational event for all of us. The Board and management were given some great suggestions, some welcome criticism and from many of the attendees, some kudos and thanks which were very much appreciated. Operating a large organization such as WMVVRSA isn’t always easy and it’s rewarding to know some people notice the time and energy we put into it. Obviously, we can’t make everyone happy all of the time, but the knowledge that we’re doing some things right gives us some peace of mind and an incentive to try harder in the future.

What a great turnout and what an interesting and dynamic cross-section of America we have in the Village. After spending more than fifty years of my life in the White Mountains, I actually felt like I was home again.

A big thanks to our HOAMCO manager Sherry Watson, board members Holly Jacobs and Kathy Fish and the Hampton Inn for a great meeting facility. And a special thanks to all of the attendees for your support and encouragement.

We’re going to keep moving forward and trying to make the Village an ever better place to spend your time. Utopia is in reality nothing but a state-of-mind. With your continued help, we keep getting closer and closer to that place. Keep working toward the goal. Keep sharing that dream. And above all else, keep helping your neighbors to make the Village “the” place to be in the summer in the White Mountains.

Oh, and thanks for making it unnecessary for me to send someone out to start my car after the meeting was adjourned.