The work on the Fire Safety Plan was initiated in WMVV because of the high fire danger in the White Mountains and an incident which occurred in Paradise, CA a few years ago. Paradise had a fire which killed 85 people. It was determined that the high number of deaths was largely a result of several key factors:
1. A high percentage of the residents were elderly and some with disabilities.
2. They had no emergency alert system
3. They had no emergency evacuation plan
We can’t do much about item 1 but we can address items 2 and 3. The formation of a committee to address Fire Safety and other risks to residents was proposed to the Board and immediately approved.
For those people at the 93 lots who have signed up and emailed their information to the committee, thank you. Please note, however, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING:
– EACH PERSON AT A RESIDENCE WHO HAS AN EMAIL ADDRESS AND MOBILE PHONE NUMBER SHOULD REGISTER INDIVIDUALLY FOR THE NAVAJO COUNTY ALERTS SINCE NOTIFICATIONS WILL THEN BE SENT TO EACH PERSON. THIS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IN MAKING SURE EVERYONE GETS NOTIFIED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
– EACH PERSON WHO SIGNS UP INDIVIDUALLY AT THE COUNTY SHOULD ALSO SUPPLY THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS AND MOBILE PHONE NUMBER TO THE RISK AWARENESS COMMITTEE (RAC) AT OUR EMAIL ADDRESS (firstname.lastname@example.org). WE NEED THIS INFORMATIO BECAUSE AFTER THE COUNTY ALERT IS RECEIVED, THE RAC WILL THEN SEND OUT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO WMVV VIA EMAIL AND TEXT. TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE COMMITTEE, JUST SUPPLY THE FOLLOWING FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL WHO SIGNS UP FOR THE COUNTY ALERTS:
o LOT NUMBER
o NAME OF THE PERSON WHO SIGNED UP AT NAVAJO COUNTY
o EMAIL ADDRESS
o MOBILE PHONE NUMBER
FOR THOSE OF YOU AT THE OTHER 280 LOTS WHO HAVE NOT SIGNED UP, WE URGE YOU TO DO SO NOW. OUR ALERT SYSTEM AND EVACUATION PLAN WILL BE EFFECTIVE ONLY IF EVERYONE RECEIVES THE ALERTS AND FOLLOW-UP INFORMATION FROM THE COMMITTEE.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE BY HAVING EACH PERSON AT A RESIDENCE SIGN UP INDIVIDUALLY AND THEN EMAIL EACH PERSON’S INFORMATION TO THE RAC AT email@example.com
Thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter.
The Risk Awareness Committee