Calling All Board Members

Board of Directors | lwvmilwaukee

The Transition Committee has recommended that the Board of Directors budget and give a lead time in which to educate, train and vet prospects for Board service on the first homeowner-controlled Board of Directors. These recommendations are to ensure the fiscal health and overall well-being of WMVV RSA. The Board agreed to this and will follow the bylaws of the Association in order to help accomplish an orderly transition.

The bylaws state that the Board of Directors shall select a nominating committee consisting of at least two Members, which Members may also be Board Members. The Board has appointed the three current Board Members to act as the nominating committee to nominate candidates for election to the first homeowner-controlled Board.

Per the bylaws, the Board must consist of not less than three or more than five Members. Directors will serve staggered terms of one year. Assuming enough people are interested in running, the current Board acting as the nominating committee intends to nominate five Members to serve on the first homeowner-controlled Board. To implement staggered terms, two directors will be elected for one-year terms, and three directors for two-year terms, with the three candidates receiving the highest number of votes serving the two-year terms. Subsequently, directors will be elected to one-year terms.

The nominating committee will include everyone who qualifies on the ballot. In order to qualify, a candidate must:

  • Be a Member in good standing
  • Complete a Board of Directors Interest Form
  • Submit a resume incorporating relevant background and reason for interest in a board position
  • Attend a three-hour training session covering the roles and responsibilities of RSA board members

Training will take place in the first quarter of 2021 and will be offered several times. When the election of directors occurs, the voting materials will include the resumes/bios of the candidates so that Members can make a judgement as to qualifications.

If you are interested in serving, please complete a Board of Directors Interest Form and submit it to Sherry Watson at SWatson@HOAMCO.com or mail it to Sherry at HOAMCO at PO Box 4212, Show Low, AZ 85902. Please include a resume incorporating relevant background and reasons for interest in a board position.

You can find the Board of Directors Interest Form on the Village website at wmvv.org. It is located on the Documents, Forms and Downloads page.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

3 Dollar Signs Painting by Chosen Art | Saatchi ArtContributed by the Transition Committee

The Transition Committee has completed most of our tasks in preparation for transition.  We have had lots of questions from residents along the way.  Many of the questions deal with financials.  We offer the following information to help members understand the basis of our due diligence duties and efforts.

The mainstay of a community association is proper financial management and transparency.  Residents need to have the assurance their funds are going toward the betterment of the neighborhood in every way possible.  Every member of the association deserves to feel comfortable knowing there is a fiduciary relationship with those in control and oversight of the association’s financial well-being.

So, start with Follow the Money.  Keep in mind that most of the movement of funds in today’s environment is in the form of non-cash transactions.  That is huge in the ability to paper trail funds.  Second, a professional management company is contracted to manage the affairs of the association.  They are not only obligated to account for funds but to also report any impropriety.  Third, pilfering funds in any form or fashion can be a felony punishable by law.

It is important to fully understand the safeguards used to monitor the flow of funds.  Generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, are a set of rules encompassing the details, complexities, and legalities of business and corporate accounting. The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) uses GAAP as the foundation for its comprehensive set of approved accounting methods and practices.  These rules are consistent in the accounting world and are routinely used by community management companies including HOAMCO.

Another safeguard is the Annual Audit.  Here is an excerpt from the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS 33-1810):

The board of directors must conduct an annual audit, review, or compilation of the association’s books. It must be completed no later than six months after the end of each fiscal year. The report must be available to members within thirty days of completion. Association documents dictate if the audit/review must be completed by a CPA or bookkeeper.

HOAMCO prepares monthly reports to the WMVV RSA Board.  A Compilation Report prepared by an independent CPA firm is conducted at the end of each year and meets this requirement in the ARS statute.  These reports have been posted on the WMVV.org website for members to view.  In addition, current financials are provided at the Annual Meeting and are available upon request from HOAMCO.

As noted, the RSA retains a Certified Public Accountant to prepare Compilation Reports.  A full audit of the financials will be conducted prior to transition.  Beyond that, it is recommended that Associations conduct a Reserve Study at least once every five years to determine the necessity and amount of reserves required to repair, replace, and restore the common elements or capital components.  The RSA retains another credentialed firm for the Reserve Study.  The last one was performed in 2018 and will be updated again before transition to member-controlled Board.

What if all this fails and association funds are stolen?  There is yet another safeguard to protect the association’s financial assets.  Not only does the management company carry its own fidelity insurance coverage, which would provide the first line of recovery in the event of theft by one of its employees, but additionally, the RSA carries its own fidelity coverage.

To sum things up, we only asked the Board for clarification in a couple areas.  The end result is that all accounting principles and laws have been followed and the RSA is in good standing and acceptable condition.

There is one area the Transition Committee feels very strongly about.  We know the learning curve the members of this Committee experienced.  That is why the Transition Committee has recommended that the Board of Directors budget and give a lead time in which to educate, train and vet prospects for Board service in these and other important matters to ensure the fiscal health and overall well-being of WMVV RSA.  Starting the association out on the right foot at transition, with attention to the details that matter, is the goal for a successful future.  If you have an interest in service, please submit an interest form. You can find it on the website (wmvv.org) under Documents, Downloads and Forms. It is titled Board of Directors Interest Form. Return it to Sherry Watson, Community Manager, at swatson@hoamco.com.

2020 Annual Meeting Open Forum Comments & Questions

Common Questions and Answers – Fire and Gas Detection - Honeywell AnalyticsGeorge and Donna Randall –2171 Lariat Way and 2280 Horseshoe Loop

“Why can we not have gates to be a gated community? We are lot owners of 2 lots and have been broke into several times. We have added locks, lights, security etc. and have still been violated. We even lost our Polaris Ranger that was locked up, covered and they cut the lock. We have asked so many times for the Village to get us gates and have been ignored or told NO WAY! The HOA fees we pay are higher than fees in the valley who are a gated community. There are too many contractors in and out of the Village if they were gated it would all be documented. Our belongings were loaded in a truck and trailer and taken out of the Village This issue needs to be addressed ASAP.

You make some good points related to theft of belongings. Gating the community is a complicated proposition. An issue is the access via Vacation Village Drive. It is ingress and egress for more than the Village. If a gate were installed, with or without an attendant, installing, maintaining it and keeping the entrant list current will increase the quarterly assessment. Another complication is that to be truly gated would require fencing the entire Village.

Jeff Sharrah – 2250 Fossil Trail

“I read in the minutes from the last meeting that the clubhouse is able to have “upgraded DSL internet”.  My question is if a phone line can be run up to the club house, why can’t lines be pulled throughout the development?  Everyone knows the cell service is pathetic and there is NO good internet option for the residents.  So, why not extend the same “priviledge” that the clubhouse has to rest of us?  And/or, can we not invite Verizon to install a cell tower (or some sort of signal booster) in club house parking lot?  Anything would be an improvement.”

Frontier was asked to give a quote a few years ago. They did not respond. They have since filed for bankruptcy. Perhaps someone would like to form a committee to explore what other options are available.

John Kosir – Lot 85 Lariat Way

“How many more lots have to close in the lodges before the homeowners take over the HOA?”

There are three lots in escrow right now. Two should close by September 30th and the other should close by October 20th. That leaves only two lots, 17 & 19 in unit 3 and Lot 12 which has a park model on it.

“How can we go about getting cable internet into the community?”

Cable One (now Sparklight) did a site study in 2018 and responded that the site was “unserviceable.” Construction costs to bring cable to the location is >$20-30k.

“How do I go about running for the HOA board when the homeowners take over?”

Look for a blog post soon to explain the process.

Chuck Vore – 3670 Latigo

“In the winter, please insist that the people doing snow removal go all the way down to the road surface. When they leave a layer on top, it creates an ice slick that makes it impossible to drive on.”

Plows sit on skids to prevent them from plowing down to the surface of the road. That is why we deploy cinders.

“I have suggested this numerous times but my suggestions have gone unheeded. PLEAE PUT ALL THE BOLTS IN THE SPEED BUMPS! They only install them with 2 and after 2 days they are coming up and I have to call to report it. Plus, I can’t tell you how many times I stopped my car to put them back in place. It’s a simple thing.”

The speed bumps have been removed for the season in anticipation of the winter snows. The problem will be dealt with next year.

“We need better contact for issues with the laundry room. I am not owed $3 for money lost in non-working machines. One I reported but it was obviously not fixed since it happened again on the same one.”

Sherry Watson is the contact for laundry room issues. Her email address is SWatson@HOAMCO.com.

Jim Larson – 4400 Elk Trot Loop

“What is current disposition of the 6 acre property that is contiguous to the Mountain Lodges?”

The property is currently under contract with a 90-day due diligence clause.

“Why is the emergency gate in the Mountain Lodges locked with a padlock on weekends? If there were a fire that blocked the main entrance we would have no way out.”

That gate is not an emergency exit. Please refer to the blog post of August 23, 2019 “In Case of Fire or Other Emergency” to review information regarding emergency exits.

“Do we presently have an established Investment Committee? If no, then I would suggest one should be established to:

Develop and implement an investment policy with respect to the management of HOA funds

Review the most recent reserve study to ensure funds are available in a timely fashion for upcoming capital projects

Committee to be composed of 2-3 resident homeowners with expertise in investment management, one of whom would be designated Chairman! All committee member to be appointed and approved by Board.

Committee Chairman to report to Board on an as-needed basis with respect to Items 1 & 2.

If this is of interest I would offer to develop a proposed policy for the annual meeting.”

There is not an established Investment Committee and this question/comment may have great value. Typically, the Association Treasurer, in this case the RSA, would head up the Finance Committee and would be a big part of what the Finance Committee would do. It sounds to me like you need to throw your hat in the ring to run for the board. Look for a blog post soon to explain the process.

“Are there any currently pending legal matters involving either the developer and/or HOA?”

There are no pending legal matters involving the developer.

The Court issued a ruling in the case brought by Mr. Standage and Mr. and Mrs. Ellsworth against the Association last year.  The Court ruled in favor of the Association and against Mr. Standage and the Ellsworths.  If you want a copy of the ruling, email Sherry Watson at SWatson@HOAMCO.com  and she will send it to you by email.  If you want any further information about the case, it’s a matter of public record and you can view it at the Navajo County Superior Court.

“Has Mr. Standage ever reimbursed us for our attorneys fees relative to defending against his lawsuit(s)?”

Not at this time.

Bill & Susan Daugherty – 211 E. Recreation Loop

“We would again like to bring it to the Advisory Committee’s Attention:

Residents & Service Vehicles for WMVV are speeding post our property located at 2111 E. Recreation Loop (two lots down from the sales office). It is a rather straight stretch before the stop at Recreation Loop & Vacation Village & many choose to use it as a short speedway on the way in & out of Phase II. We requested that an appropriate speed limit sign be installed last year but this has not been done. Please address this issue before there is an incident and someone is hurt or a pet is run over.”

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. A sign will be installed soon.

Richard Schaefer – 2320 Quarter Horse Way

“We own a park model at this address. Our driveway is large enough that we could park our small travel-trailer 18’ there with a car. We want to use it on trips around AZ & the 4 corners of AZ-Utah-New Mexico & Colorado. We have no intention to use it as a camper in our driveway. Only to be able to have it here when we wait to travel. According to the CC&R’s this is O.K. Do I have the correct assumption?”

No. The Board passed a resolution in 2017. See below. It can also be found on the Village People website (WMVV.org) under Documents, Forms and Downloads. The document is titled General Rules.

Parking of Additional Vehicles (June 20, 2017) Each lot is restricted to the parking of no more than two additional vehicles, each of which is used only for transportation, and not for eating and sleeping.

The above statement shall be clarified and interpreted to preclude by way of example and not by limitation, Class A, B and C Recreational Vehicles, as those Recreational Vehicles are designed and used for eating and sleeping, and not designed to be used only for transportation.

Dorothea E. Blondefield – 2280 Turtle Creek Road #191

“Myself and others that I have talked to over some years now, would like to have a carport allowed. I know and definitely would want it, that a committee of some sort should ok the construction of these carports to compliment our beautiful White Mountain Vacation Village. Every year, my car is covered with tree sap that could ruin the finish of my car and looks terrible.

This would require a change in the CC&Rs.

“We have a very dangerous problem on the Turtle Creek and Recreation Road. The steep hill prevents us to see the traffic coming from the left because of the car and golf cart parked there. I believe by making Turtle Creek a one way going in the other direction will take care of the problem.”

This issue will be referred to the committee that handled the street direction change.

Festival Area Update

Ravine Gardens Hiking Trails | Florida Hikes!The fence around the Festival Area has been completed. In several places the fence is a few inches off of the property line.  This was done to save the survey pins and large trees.

The fence between developer owned property and Unit 3 was offset about six inches onto the developer property. This was done to save survey pins and give a little extra space where the fence skirts the roadway.  The Festival Area west side fence was curved a few inches into the Festival Area at one location to save a large pine tree that is on the property line.  The south fence was offset about six inches into the Festival Area to save survey pins.  The Festival Area east fence, which changes direction three times, was offset both ways at different locations to save survey pins and large trees, with the majority of the movement onto developer property.

Portions of the trails were cut off by the new fence. They will be rebuilt in the next thirty days. The exercise station and disc golf targets will also be relocated at that time.

The survey looks different than the map attached to the Festival Area lease. That map was taken from the original concept rendering of the development and thus was not to scale.

We are sorry for the inconvenience the trails are causing. Thanks for your understanding.

Clubhouse Update

School Age Children's Enrichment Program (The Clubhouse) - Living on Campus  - Texas Woman's UniversityResidents have understandably expressed frustration over the continued closure of the clubhouse. The board had hoped that the requirements mandated by Governor Ducey would be loosened and it could be opened for use by now. However, the requirements are still in place.

The mandate requires an attendant on duty during open hours. Some of the attendant’s duties would include verifying that anyone entering had signed a waiver, making certain social distancing and mask wearing is taking place and cleaning and sanitizing after each person leaves or moves somewhere else in the building. The Association is not an employer so cannot do this. Inquiries were made to service providers. However, no one is able to do this for the Association.

A credit was issued to each account for the loss of the use of the clubhouse. However, we learned after the fact that homeowner’s associations are not allowed by law to give such credits. Homeowner associations fall under different laws than gyms, spas and other businesses that collect dues. What is done is done but another credit cannot be issued. Adjustments to reflect lower (or higher) expenses will be a natural byproduct of the Association’s budgeting process for the following year’s dues.

Please try to understand the best interests of the Board are served by working in the best interests of the homeowners. That’s what we’re trying to do. We all look forward to a resolution but will continue to follow Governor Ducey’s orders. Stay safe.

2020 Annual Meeting Guidelines

How to Protect Your Meetings: Zoom, Teams, WebEx and More - Shen Milsom &  WilkeThe Annual meeting presents some challenges this year due to Covid-19. We want everyone who would like to attend to be able to do so. If attendance is as robust as it has been in past years, social distancing will be all but impossible. All in-person attendees must wear a non-surgical or cloth face covering that completely covers the nose and mouth. Masks will be available at the door for those who forget or don’t have a mask.

We are going to allow attendance using Zoom as well. There is no guarantee that it will work but we’re willing to give it our best effort. If you are not able to wear a mask or if you are uncomfortable being around others or if you will not be in town, we invite you to attend via Zoom. The Zoom link is below. The passcode is WMVV.

Click here for the link to the Zoom meeting. (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84098291765?pwd=czNCMndLVlBHUUkwSVpDOWgwS2pUdz09)

Mailbox Misery

Gibraltar Mailboxes Elite Galvanized Steel Post Mounted Black Mailbox  10-1/2 in. H x 8-1/2 in. - Ace HardwareThe mailboxes have become a source of frustration and understandably so. The post office used to change the locks for us but have made a decision not to do it anymore. It is unclear if this is a policy from above or if we have somehow fallen out of favor with our local office.  However, no matter the reason we have to take on the task.

Some locks are broken and falling out and as some are aware, the post office will not deliver to those boxes that cannot be secured. We have sent out several email pushes over the years asking homeowners not to drill out their lock when moving, yet it is still occurring.

Finding locks that will work with the boxes has been a problem. The company the boxes were purchased from has gone out of business. Many people have been working on finding the proper locks. No one has been successful so far.

I want you to know Sherry is working hard to locate what is needed to remedy the situation. I would ask for your patience but I’m not sure I would have much if I were in your shoes. In fact, Sherry is running out of patience. Whenever she thinks she has a solution, she finds out she has to start over again. She knows that screaming at post office employees won’t buy her much either. We definitely don’t want them going “postal” on her or her on them.

This is simply an update, not an excuse.

2020 Annual Meeting

99 Annual General Meeting Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free ...WHITE MOUNTAIN VACATION VILLAGE

RECREATIONAL SUBDIVISION ASSOCIATION

NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING

Pursuant to Article V, Section 1 of the Bylaws of White Mountain Vacation Village Recreational Subdivision Association, the Annual Meeting of the Members will be held as follows:

DATE:            Wednesday September 16, 2020

CHECK-IN:   1:00 p.m.

MEETING:    1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

PLACE:          Hampton Inn

1501 E Woolford Road

Show Low, AZ 85901

PURPOSE:    Informational

  • All attendees must wear a non-surgical or cloth face covering that completely covers the nose and mouth
  • You may social distance in seating as you feel comfortable

AGENDA

Call Meeting to Order

Introduction of Current Board Members

Approval of 2019 Annual Meeting Minutes

Completed Projects in 2019/2020

Financial Report

Committee Reports

Open Forum

Adjournment

 

I Get by With a Little Help from My Friends

5 Signs of Suicide and 5 Ways to Help - SOS Safety MagazineThe end is near. With any luck at all, it will be here before the end of this selling season. Assuming three lots now in escrow close, nine lots in Unit 3 Phase 1 Mountain Lodges is all that separates the developer from transitioning the RSA to member control.

The board of directors and developer have been working hard to deliver all requests from the Transition Committee so that everything will be in order when the transition occurs.

Nine lots should be easy to sell. The real estate agent has had a lot of traffic and several “hot” leads. However, at the last minute, they have backed out of writing a contract.

“How can I help”, you ask? There are three things that would be beneficial. One, if you are wandering around in the Village and someone stops by to chit chat about the area, let them know how wonderful it is to be in the cool pines and how lovely your neighbors are. Two, let all your friends know where you spend the summer and why. Invite them to come take a look and see for themselves how nice it is. Three, buy another lot. It could be held for investment or improved and put back on the market for sale or kept as a rental.

It would be great if the 2021 Annual meeting was the meeting where Members elect their very own board of directors. We are so close. Helping the real estate agent is helping yourselves.

Your Festival Area

The open stand structure of an old ponderosa pine forest. While ...When Jim McCarty began work on the Village, the property known as the Festival Area was loosely defined. Jim had no immediate plans to turn the RSA over to the residents. His strategy was to slowly develop all of the land, his timeline being dictated by interest and demand. The big vision for the area resided in Jim’s head. It was not urgent that he define anything in the beginning. He was anxious for the area to be enjoyed so he built hiking trails and installed exercise equipment without a clear vision of what that might mean if he wasn’t around to finish his project.

When Jim died, plans for the area changed. The new intent was to sell the existing lots and turn the RSA over to the members. In preparation for the eventual transfer of the RSA to the residents, the Association attorney advised the board that it would be in the best interest of the Association to survey the Festival Area. A survey was completed at the expense of the developer and a fence will soon be installed to delineate the Festival Area.

Portions of a few of the hiking trails will require relocation in order to be inside the boundaries of the survey. In addition, one of the exercise stations and one or two of the disc golf targets will also need to be moved. When this has been completed, a title report will be provided to the Transition Committee for their examination.

The Recreational Subdivision Association has an agreement to lease the Festival Area, hiking trails, ponds, exercise stations and other things located within the Festival Area. The lease is available on the Village People website at www.wmvv.org. It is located on the Documents, Forms and Downloads page.